Sunday, August 17, 2014

25 Years of Country Club

In 1989 Travis Tritt had his first big hit, the title song from his album Country Club. Over the past 25 years he has released many albums, sold millions of copies, and established himself as a force in the music industry. His success can be attributed to many factors in my opinion. He has a wide appeal since he mixes country with Southern Rock, and he throws in blues and gospel influences. His sound borrows from Lynyrd Skynyrd and Allman Brothers of course, but he also has been influenced by Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams Jr. and Stevie Ray Vaughan. He has appealed to men and women with a mix of high energy fast songs as well as emotional ballads. His big hit poked fun at the white collar types who spend their free time playing golf and tennis. His lyrics can be thought provoking, emotional, motivational and even funny, in the case of Country Club. Here are some of the lyrics. "I'm a member of a country club/ Country music is what I love/ I drive an old Ford pickup truck/ I do my drinkin' from a Dixie cup/ I'm a bona fide dancin' fool/ I shoot a mighty mean game of pool/ At any honky tonk roadside pub/ I'm a member of a country club" Yes, the video looks kind of funny and dated when it is watched now, but the music is still outstanding. Watch it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment